In July, Instagram began its work on the “Restricting” feature. They aimed at enabling users to avoid unwanted interactions with other users, even without those users knowing. This feature is specially added to combat the increasing number of cyberbullying as well as to protect one’s account and their privacy as well. The news of releasing had been surfacing for quite a long time. Click here to know about PVA Instagram accounts.
Adam Mosseri, the head of Instagram, made a statement earlier this year at a developers’ conference, We hope to “Lead the fight against cyberbullying“. We are testing new features to foster a “less pressurized” environment, including hiding likes, a “Nudge” for being mean and an “Away mode“.
This feature started to roll out globally on Wednesday.
In this article, We will be covering all of the important aspects of this new feature including:
- How does this feature work and what does cyberbully experts think about this new feature of Instagram?
- How can you enable it on your Instagram, that too in three different ways?
- How does Restrict Feature work?
The Instagram officials said in a statement announcing the feature, “Indeed, Bullying is a serious and complex issue and we know that young people face a disproportionate amount of online bullying but are reluctant to report or block peers who bully them”. Restrict feature is designed to empower you to quietly protect your account while still keeping an eye on a bully.
The co-director of the Cyberbullying Research Center and a professor of criminology at Florida Atlantic University welcomed this feature, she told ABC News via email, It is indeed a step in the right direction, and I think it is “wait and see” when it comes to the utility of the Restrict feature.
The CEO of the nonprofit cyberbullying advocacy group the Cybersmile Foundation talked with ABC News. It is a way of helping moderate comments on your posts is indeed a welcome addition on Instagram.
He further added, “It is affection people sharing info they want to share because they are aware of the abusive comments. What it doesn’t do, is… it’s not helping the primary problem of people sharing content to hurt others.”
How to Enable Restrict Feature Mode?
There are three different ways to enable the “Restrict” feature in your account.
1. What you are going to do is swipe left on a bully or hurtful comment, now access Restrict through Privacy and Settings option.
2. You can also enable this feature directly on someone’s profile. So once it’s enabled, the feature will make comments from a restricted user invisible to the public. However, the person at the end of receiving comments and the one who commenting will still be able to see the comments in the comment section.
3. Besides, a user who directly enables the “Restrict” feature on a specific person also has options when it comes to filtering comments. They will be able to delete, approve or ignore comments from that specific user. The user will not be notified when a restricted user writes comments on their post. Nor will they receive any information about direct messages from a restricted user.
The Direct Messages from them will automatically move into your “Message Request” folder. The user can still read the message, without them knowing if you have read their message or not.